Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crock Pot Lasagna

Ingredients
1 lb (500g) ground beef
1large onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 t pre-purchased garlic)
1 lb jar tomato spaghetti sauce - choose your favorite flavor (I use Prego Traditional)
8 oz (250g) fresh lasagna sheets (I used no boil boxed version)
1lb (500g) mozzarella cheese - grated/shredded
1lb (500g) ricotta cheese
2 oz (60g) Parmesan cheese - grated/shredded
¼ cup milk
1 egg - lightly beaten
1 tsp oregano

salt and pepper
Optional
other favorite herbs - depends how much is in the sauce you use.
If you like vegetables in it you could throw some in as well

Method
1. Fry the beef, onion and garlic in a frying pan, using a tiny amount of oil.
2. Fry until slightly browned. And pour off any excess oil. Add tomato sauce and heat through.
3. Meanwhile, gently combine the ricotta, milk and egg.
4. Then mix in the mozzarella and Parmesan. Retaining about 1T of Parmesan for later.
5. Now we are ready to construct it in the crock pot. No need to grease pot.
6. Using a large serving spoon or ladle, place about ¼ of the meat mixture in the crock pot - spread evenly.
7. Top this with a layer of lasagna sheets, cut to size. I just broke mine and placed them... kind of messy
8. Top this with 1/3 of the cheese sauce.
9. Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 once more. You should now have cheese sauce on top.
10. Now repeat step 6, then 7 and 6 again.
11. Top with remaining cheese sauce.
12. Sprinkle the retained Parmesan on top. (I sprinkled mozzarella on top.)
13. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. (I cooked on high for 2-3)

Notes
Serves 4-6
While not critical the layers should be - meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, meat, cheese

I would get another jar of spaghetti sauce and pour it on the meat layers. I like A LOT of sauce and this recipe doesn't have quite enough!

BON APETIT

No comments: