Sunday, July 12, 2009

I made this little baby for our family party today... A HIT I TELL YOU!

The Colonel’s Cheesecake
Crust:
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Filling:
2 pounds cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
4 extra-large eggs (I just used Large... OOPS)
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla1
½ cups oreo cookie crumbs
2 cup sour cream
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Glaze:
½ cup heavy cream
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla

To make crust
combine graham crackers crumbs, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until firm. (I like a lot of the bottom, so I did a full package of graham crackers and added about a ¼ cup more butter to get it sticky enough).

Preheat oven to 425’ F.To make filling, with an electric mixer set 0n low speed beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1 ¼ cup sugar. Add flour, mixing well. Beat in eggs and egg yolks, until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour half of batter into crust and sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Pour remaining batter over cookie crumbs, smoothing with a spatula. Bake for 15 minutes. (Don’t worry, will get some brown spots, but you can peel those off before the next step). Reduce heat to 225’ F and bake for another 50 minutes. Loosely cover with foil during second baking time, if browning to quickly.Remove from oven, increase temp to 350’. Using a mixer set on medium speed, blend together sour cream, ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread evenly on top of cheesecake. Return to oven and bake at 350’ for 7 minutes. (This is where I had a little trouble, the cheesecake was supper runny. Then I read that it has to set up overnight in the frig. I did bake it longer (15 minutes) since it was so runny the first time I made it, it still tasted good.)

Remove from oven cover and REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT. To make glaze, scald cream in heavy saucepan over high heat. Add chocolate (I used milk chocolate chips-all I had and still wonderful) and vanilla, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Refrigerate for 10 minutes then pour over cheesecake and refrigerate again for 10 minutes. Garnish with oreo cookies cut half.

No comments: